Community - Bubblegum Club - Page 3

1976: A Short Story

On the violence that continued; “On June 17, I watched as bodies were dragged out of what had been a shopping centre on the Old Patch Road. I saw figures running out of the shop, some carrying goods. They ran across the veld like wild animals, dropping like bags as bullets hit them. I saw…

Spinning Decks, Saving Lives: Nairobi’s New School of DJs

DJ sets have become increasingly popular over the past couple of years, often determining the marketability of multiple tracks and thus placing DJs as key changemakers within the music industry. Thus, it comes as no surprise that the East African scene, a steadily growing music hub, has developed a DJ culture of its own.  Notoriously…

Studio ICAI Explores Zafimaniry Woodwork Practices

Woodcraft holds a strong presence in many communities and cultures around the world. For the people of Zafimaniry, which is a community in the southeast highlands of Madagascar, woodwork is not only a central practice among the people but is deeply embedded in their culture, livelihoods and belief systems.  Quentin Clemence and Alice Weil founded…

Introducing the fabric of African Love, by waf. & ALÁRA

From waf. & ALÁRA to Africa with love, welcome to the beginning of what are to be questions, statements and theories encouraging us to (re)narrate our stories and journeys with love on the African continent. African Love is a waf. & ALÁRA multimedium fashion campaign that draws from the African continent’s relationship with clothing, tradition,…