Community - Bubblegum Club - Page 3

Opportunities in October 2023: Open Calls, residencies and more

From jobs, residencies, and open calls: here is an updated list of opportunities this October 2023 for artists, writers, and creatives.  For more consistent updates visit our opportunities page here.  Image courtesy of Jason Goodman Creative Director  Dream Concepts is searching for a creative director to be a part of their team. The Creative Director…

Timezones: Flattening & Bending Space Through Sound  

If an accordion player bellows a melody in Serbia, could the vibration cause a vocalist in Nairobi to sing? Enter Timezones, a podcast series exploring diverse worlds and practices of artists in different contexts. Through epic long-form offerings, time is textured and space bent with a series of episodes that are both informational preambles and…

1976: A Short Story

On the violence that continued; “On June 17, I watched as bodies were dragged out of what had been a shopping centre on the Old Patch Road. I saw figures running out of the shop, some carrying goods. They ran across the veld like wild animals, dropping like bags as bullets hit them. I saw…

Spinning Decks, Saving Lives: Nairobi’s New School of DJs

DJ sets have become increasingly popular over the past couple of years, often determining the marketability of multiple tracks and thus placing DJs as key changemakers within the music industry. Thus, it comes as no surprise that the East African scene, a steadily growing music hub, has developed a DJ culture of its own.  Notoriously…

Studio ICAI Explores Zafimaniry Woodwork Practices

Woodcraft holds a strong presence in many communities and cultures around the world. For the people of Zafimaniry, which is a community in the southeast highlands of Madagascar, woodwork is not only a central practice among the people but is deeply embedded in their culture, livelihoods and belief systems.  Quentin Clemence and Alice Weil founded…