Community - Bubblegum Club - Page 4

Waf. Babes | a practice of equity by WAFFLESNCREAM

In July of this year, I wrote about a forgotten sense of community and the prevailing loss of culture we experience when we succumb to loneliness and individualism. One of the references I used for the piece and what it means to cultivate a community was the American female skater-led drama, Betty. More and more women…

A recap of Poetry Africa Festival 2022

* Trigger Warning: this article contains mention of assault and violence The 26th iteration of the Poetry Africa Festival kicked off on the 6th of October and ran until the 16th. For the first time, the events were spread across two cities, with the Johannesburg leg starting proceedings before they move to Durban on the…

Boy.Brother.Friend // An Introduction to a deeper diasporic dialect

Much of my time as a writer has been spent investigating and covering diasporic communities. Maybe I’ve placed such a significant emphasis on covering the topic due to my academic background, particularly in history and political science, where issues relating to our beautiful continent and its vast and intricate histories always seemed to strike more of a…

Sol introduces a smashing partnership with 5fm

The Sol Beer motto is well known as “tasting the sun,” which captures the idea of seeing the positive aspects of life. Changing perspectives will help you find the positive in the bad. Sol has therefore set out to spread the word throughout the nation and uplift South Africans in these times of rising prices, increasing…

The importance of Black aesthetics and presence at festivals and celebrations

How the multiplication of festivals and black artists as headliners has leveraged the Afro-referenced aesthetic and, together with the current ancestral rescue movements, is building bodies and communities of belonging and celebration. In 1969, in the United States, while Americans turned their eyes to Bethel, a village in upstate New York, where the first Woodstock…

Joining Forces: Nike Air Force One connects community

The Air Force’s propensity to connect with a broad range of people across time and geographic positioning is well documented and undeniable. With almost 2000 unique AF1 colourways in existence, the materials, construction and execution of this year’s anniversary model acknowledge the past while at the same time gently stating that there’s more to come….

SA party culture is trash, but so are we

Disclaimer: All of the foregoing is commentary for informational purposes only. The information presented has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable but its accuracy is not guaranteed. Estimates, assumptions and other reflective information are subject to the limits of living one life. Party going involves substantial risk and is only appropriate for those…

A tale on Lunga Ntila’s eternal imprint

The year is 2017, the building is August House. Here, established and baby artists gather ceremoniously to water their artistic gardens into bloom.   I’ve been revisiting the day we met, after you ascended from the body on the 11th of August. On the afternoon our worlds first collided, I sat quietly at a tiny desk…

Black femme South African podcasts to listen to

For Black women, the digital media ecosystem is frequently an exclusive one. That has changed as a result of how the internet has democratised the creative sector and reduced the power of the gatekeepers. One platform where Black women are becoming increasingly visible is South African podcasts. It is a space for an open and…

Breathing new life into Braamfontein — an ode to murals by Halls

Halls — alongside a strong group of graphic designers; visual artists; animators and illustrators — gave Braamfontein, Johannesburg, an inhaler with their Breathe for It campaign. Not only have they managed to revive Braam Square but Halls and Karabo Poppy have given eight deserving artists a canvas to showcase exactly what they’ve got. Halls, one…